Sunday, January 16, 2011

Brownie Rocks

After a fun filled weekend I find myself here at the computer recalling one of the best moments of my weekend. My dear friend Alex came to spend a few days with me. Things were going well but the constant call for brownies from my mentors couldn't be ignored any longer.

We made the brownie batter but with some dismay we found that we had extra which we needed to deal with. I pulled out a muffin tin and decided that we would have mini brownie muffins! The person that used the oven before me had it on broil and forgot to change it back to bake when they were done. Five minutes into the cooking I caught the mistake before it was too bad but it still effected the brownies.

Twenty-five minutes later Alex and I pulled out the brownies and muffins for cooling. Note: first mistake I let the muffins stay in as long as a 9x13 pan. Don't do that. A few hours later we came down stairs from dying our hair to find that the muffins weren't muffins at all! In fact that resembled rocks, moon rocks! The good news was that the regular brownies, although altered, were still presentable. We frosted them and then returned to the original problem of what to do with chocolaty pellets. Almost like revelation the thought came to mind, lets stone the mentors with the muffins and then in an act of peace we can give them the one's that turned out properly!

In the beautiful, dented, old Chevy Suburban we pulled up in front of their house. I arm wrestled the car into park and turned to Alex, "Ya ready for this?" We each grabbed five stones and held them behind our backs, walked up to the door and asked for our mentors. They came to the door and we started throwing the stones. They of course retaliated and gathered the stones to throw back. Almost immediately six kids were running around trying to gather the muffins and eat them. Although they thought we were retreating we ran back to the car and got the plates of "proper" brownies and offered them in an act of pure, raw, unadulterated friendship.

It was a moment in my life that I would label as culinary fun. But there is one part about the entire situation that makes me a little uncomfortable. The kids tried to eat the muffins...I don't think that could possibly be a wise health move! I hope no one gets sick!

No comments:

Post a Comment